Shower curtain rails come in many different styles, and it can be hard to choose the one you want to install. Installing showing curtain rails is easy to do and does not take much time. Hardware stores sell shower curtain rail kits which includes the hardware which is needed to install them. The kits come with instructions also which show you the correct way to install them.
The first thing you need to do is select the height you want the shower curtain to be. Standard shower curtain height is five inches from the top of the shower wall. Of course, this can be changed, depending upon what kind of shower curtain rail you have.
Marking shower curtain rod placement
- Use a pencil and mark the desired height of the shower curtain rail on the shower wall.
- Measure the distance between the rear of the shower to the mark you made using a measuring tape.
- Hold up the shower curtain rod brackets against the mark you made, and mark the location of the drill hoes with a pencil.
- Mark the second bracket in the same way on the opposite wall.
- Make sure the brackets are level.
- Hang the bracket on the location you marked on the wall.
- Line the bracket up with the drill hole markings you made, and drill the screws in.
- Your shower curtain rail kit should have included all of the necessary screws needed to screw in the brackets.
- Drill the second bracket in the same way, and make sure both brackets are secure and level.
Install the curtain rod
- Hang the shower curtain rail.
- Place one end of the shower curtain rail on the first bracket, and then insert the other end of the shower curtain rail into the second bracket.
- Stand back and look at it and make sure it is level. If it is not, you can use the drill and remove the screws and fix the side which is not level. It is easiest to fix it now, rather than to wait until later.
- Make sure the brackets are tight to prevent mold from growing behind them. You can use a hand screwdriver to tighten them up more after you drill them in.