By continuing your visit to this site, you accept the use of cookies. They ensure the proper functioning of our services and display relevant ads. Learn more about cookies and act

Not yet registered? Create a OverBlog!

Create my blog

What is the UK Capital gains tax rate

The profit that a person makes when s/he ceases to own an asset is considered to be a taxable amount in the United Kingdom. This tax is known as the Capital Gains Tax. However, it is not as simple as merely selling an asset. The gain can also be taxed if the asset is given away as a gift, is transferred to someone else, is exchanged for something else or even if compensation for the asset is received.

The basics

How it works
If an individual buys shares for £1000 in June 2000 and sells them for £10000 in
June 2010, he has made a profit of £9000. This amount is then, subject to the Capital Gains Tax rate. An individual
If you are acting as an individual and you have made a profit from a Capital Gains transaction, you will be charged at a rate of between 18-28 percent of taxation.
18 percent is the flat rate, but this rose to 28 percent for higher earners as of
June 2010. A company
The calculation for companies is slightly more complex than for individuals. Companies use what is known as "indexation relief" to the base cost. It is increased according to the retail prices index. This means that the profit is calculated on an inflationary basis. Once the profit has been calculated, the company is taxed at the appropriate marginal rate of company tax.

Other information

Some assets are exempt from Capital Gains Tax. These include your car: personal possessions that are worth up to £6000 each, such as jewellery, paintings or antiques; stocks and shares that are held in tax-free investment savings accounts, such as ISAs and PEPs; UK state or 'gilt-edged' securities such as National Savings Certificates, premium bonds and loan stock issued by the Treasury; betting, lottery or pools winnings; personal injury compensation and foreign currency held for personal use outside the UK. Corporation Tax Act 2010
Capital Gains Tax is outlined in the Corporation Tax Act 2010. It is an act of parliament that received royal assent in March 2010. Reporting a loss
When an asset loses most or all its value, the owner may be able to claim this as a loss, even if he still owns it as an asset. The only prerequisite is that the asset must have lost its value during the time that s/he owned it. If this is the case, a negligible value claim can be made.

Same category articles Taxation

The punishments for business fraud in the UK

The punishments for business fraud in the UK

The Fraud Act of 2006, which came into force in January 2007, applies in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and repeals all previous theft acts. It replaces them with the single offence of fraud, and denotes that this could be committed in one of three ways: false representation, failure to disclose information when there's a legal duty to do so, and abuse of position. This article will discuss the penalties for these offences.
How to get an IRS tax lien removed?

How to get an IRS tax lien removed?

No one likes to be in trouble with the IRS, because being in trouble with them can eventually ruin a person’s credit score or financial stability if the problem is not corrected. One of the main reasons why people get in trouble with the IRS is because of failing to pay their taxes, which causes the IRS to place tax liens on a person’s property.
Gift Aid: The facts

Gift Aid: The facts

Gift Aid is a government program that allows certain taxpayers to enjoy increased value from their donations to eligible UK charities. Depending on how much their annual taxes are, they may enjoy certain tax incentives as well. However, if you are using tax software to file your taxes, make sure that it has been updated recently to be able to file Gift Aid donations as well.
How to calculate income tax in the UK

How to calculate income tax in the UK

The UK income tax liability is calculated on the income received in the tax year to 5 April after deduction of relevant expenses and allowances. Income from employment, self-employment, property and savings must be taken into account.