By continuing your visit to this site, you accept the use of cookies. They ensure the proper functioning of our services and display relevant ads. Learn more about cookies and act

Not yet registered? Create a OverBlog!

Create my blog

Where to study for teaching degrees

When it comes to teaching courses, there are two options. You can either do a four year bachelor's degree or you can opt for a postgraduate degree in teaching. Here are two options for institutions for both types of degrees in education.

Consider a three year primary school course

Most students who opt for teaching primary school will do the bachelor's degree. This is because it's easier and will cover everything over a longer space of time. Most courses are three years long, but some schools will offer four year courses, and there are placements throughout the course. What you will learn With teaching in primary school, you will need to know a variety of subjects. One teacher will teach everything, from history to English to Maths. Teachers need to learn the three different stages of education, from Foundation to Key Stage 2. Many universities around the country offer this option as a degree.

Taking secondary school teaching as a bachelor's

Since you need to learn one specific subject to teach secondary school, most teachers will opt for the postgraduate qualification. However, there are a few universities that will allow you to learn one subject and gain the teaching qualification over a four year course. Universities that you can choose from If you want to become a PE teacher, you can opt for the Brunel University. This is a three year course and you will come out with a Newly Qualified Teachers Degree. Another option is to choose Goldsmith's College, where you will gain a teaching degree in Design and Technology.

Take a PGCE in England and Wales

Most students who want to go onto teaching secondary school will opt for a PGCE, which is a Postgraduate Certificate in Education. This is the course available to universities in England and Wales only and is a one year course. Study after doing your bachelor's degree You will need to do a bachelor's degree first, which usually lasts for three or four years. You will need to do the bachelor's degree in the course that you want to teach. You do not need to stay at the same university for your PGCE. One university to choose is Birmingham City University, but there are many others.

Take a PGDE in Scotland

Scottish students have the same amount of years for their course, but they will do a PGDE instead. This is a Postgraduate Diploma in Education. There is very little difference between the teaching skills learnt between the two courses, but there are limitations on where you can teach after the studies. Find a degree in Scotland Not all universities will offer the PGDE and it can take time to find something in your teaching area. There are a handful of universities including Glasgow Strathclyde, Edinburgh and Dundee universities.

Same category articles Colleges & Universities

All about: Northwestern college

All about: Northwestern college

Founded in 1902, as Northwestern Bible and Missionary Training School, Northwestern College (NC) is a private, Christian institution located in St. Paul, Minnesota. The famous minister, Billy Graham was president of the college from 1948 -1952. Today, NC enrolls over 3,000 students and is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
How to apply to universities in the UK

How to apply to universities in the UK

UK university applications for full-time study are made through a central agency called the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service which is also known as UCAS. Application for UK degree courses is a complex process that take plenty of time and thought to be carried out successfully.
A guide to Hope International University

A guide to Hope International University

Hope International University is a private, Christian university, which now boasts almost 1700 students on its roll. Although officially non-denominational, the college has strong ties to the Restoration Movement and the Independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ, two American , post-Revival Christian movements. The college now consists of two schools, the Pacific Christian College and School of Graduate & Professional Studies. A guide to the college follows.