Oats have a long history of being valued for skin care regime, and this dates back to the ancient Greeks and Romans time. They used oat baths to heal skin ailments. Aveeno scientists have developed innovative formulations, using finely- milled oatmeal that retains the naturally active benefits of the oats.
What is Aveeno?
Aveeno cream and lotion contain colloidal oatmeal. It is an extract from the grain of Avena sativa (oats or oatmeal). It is used in homeopathy to prepare moisturising skin preparations.
Colloidal oatmeal and shea butter
Aveeno has developed a range of face and body creams. Aveeno products captures the benefits of ingredients such a colloidal oatmeal and shea butter which are effective, safe and gentle enough to use on the most sensitive areas of the skin.
Oatmeal moisturises the skin by leaving a protective barrier on the skin. It cleanses and relieves dry skin. Shea butter helps to nourish the skin. It contains vitamins A and E. The Aveeno range is broken down into three categories. These are:
• Moisturising Range- cleansers specially for dry, irritated skin,
• Intensive Dry Skin Range- for sensitive, dry skin which soothes and protects,
• Cleansing Range- daily moisturisers developed for dry, itchy skin. How does it work? In these Aveeno moisturisers, the colloidal oatmeal is formulated in a moisturising base that contains glycerin and allantoin. Glycerin is absorbed into the skin where it works by attracting water to itself, helping to retain water in the skin surface. What is it used for? Aveeno lotion is used for the following things: - Itching associated with dry skin - Non-inflammatory dryness and scaling of the skin - Eczema Important safety information Pregnancy and breast-feeding: You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Aveeno Moisturising Lotion Cream while you are pregnant. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Benefits and side-effects of Aveeno lotion
The benefits are as follows:
- Daily moisturising lotion with sunscreen- It moisturises the skin for 24 hours and provides broad-spectrum protection from ageing UVA and burning UVB rays.
- Relieves dry skin
- Soothes itchy, irritated skin - It provides temporary skin protection and when used in a bath treatment, it can relieve minor itching and irritation due to rashes, eczema, poison ivy/oak/sumac, and insect bites.
Contact your doctor if any of these most common side-effects persist when using Aveeno Moisturising Lotion Cream:
- Mild itching
- Burning or stinging Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side-effects occur when using Aveeno Moisturising Lotion Cream: - Severe allergic reactions: (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent itching, burning, or stinging; skin irritation; worsening dryness.