House mold not only looks bad but it also causes many health problems, such as allergies, colds, and breathing problems. Mold grows best in humid and damp areas in a home, and will continue to grow unless it is taken care of. Once removed, measures must be taken to prevent house mold from coming back. Here are some tips on how to combat house mold in your home.
- Repair any leaks in the house from leaking pipes and dripping faucets.
- Check for loose gaskets around refrigerators, dishwashers, and washers.
- Make sure the seal is tight, which reduces condensation.
- Ensure the roof and gutters in your home are free from leaks and in good condition.
- Install dehumidifiers or air conditioners in your home. This will reduce the humidity in your home and thus reduces mold.
- Clean the drip pans in the dehumidifiers, and clean out the drain line in air conditioners, which prevents mold.
- Vent moisture or heat producing appliances outdoors, such as your clothes dryer, stove, and kerosene heaters, as these all produce humidity.
- Power on exhaust fans when you are taking a shower to remove moisture from the air. If your bathroom does not have an exhaust fan, open a window.
- Dry the tub and shower after you use it. This will not only keep your shower clean, but decrease mold growth.
- Dry the bathroom floor after you take a bath or shower and remove all moisture.
- Hang up wet towels after you take a shower or bath, and allow them to dry completely before putting them in a hamper or clothes basket.
- Use ceiling fans or open windows in your home to cross-ventilate. A house which is well-ventilated has less humidity and will not produce mold.
Clean spills immediately
Clean any spills immediately to prevent mold from building up. If mold has already started to form, dry the area and clean it with a mixture of bleach and water to kill the mold spores. Final word Follow these tips and you will combat any mold problem you are having in your home. Mildew and mold can become a big problem. However, if you take preventative measures, you can stop the mold spores before they start.