The perfect hors d'oeuvres or appetiser may be the difference between a fantastic and a 'so-so' dinner party. The secret is using everyday ingredients to make these mouth-watering appetisers so that they cost less and taste amazing. Here are a few ideas.
Appetisers for parties
Stuffed cheesy puffs recipe
Ingredients: 3 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup flour ( all purpose)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese/Gruyere Crab salad/ cooked mushrooms Preparation: - Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Use butter to coat two large baking sheets.
- Boil a cup of water combined with butter, salt and pepper on medium high heat.
- Add in the flour and fold with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball.
- Set dough in a bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to combine the dough with the eggs at high speed, adding eggs one at a time.
Mix until the mixture has cooled and is smooth.
- Beat in the cheese.
- Drop the mixture by spoonfuls onto the baking sheet, an inch apart.
- With damp fingers, smooth the top of each puff.
- Bake until puffy and golden brown 25 to 30 minutes.
- Set to cool. Slice off the tops and scoop out the centre.
- Add in the filling of your choice (crab salad) and cover with tops.
Cocktail party recipes
Shrimp cocktail with fruit salsa
Ingredients: 24 jumbo shrimps
1 chili pepper cut in half and seeded
1 jalapeno pepper cut in half and seeded
1 cup finely chopped mango
1 cup finely chopped papaya
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Preparation: - Properly peel and de-vein the shrimps. Wash and set aside.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the peppers on a foil-lined broiler pan skins down, flatten with hand and broil for ten minutes.
- Allow to rest for ten minutes. Peel, chop finely and place in a bowl.
- Add in mango, papaya, onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt.
- Heat a large enough skillet and spray cooking spray liberally.
- Add the shrimps and saute for two and a half minutes per side until done.
- Place salsa on a tray in the centre and the shrimps along the side.
Simple watercress salad
Ingredients: 4 cups trimmed watercress
4 cups torn frisée
1 cup red grapefruit sections
1 cup sliced onion
1/2 tsp.curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 tablespoons grape seed oil
Preparation: - Mix vinegar, curry and salt in a bowl and slowly stir in oil, whisking constantly.
- Drizzle on salad.
Hors d'oeuvres are fun if prepared right.