Founded in 1856, the University Of Maryland (UMD) has a long and distinguished history. More importantly, it is still ranked highly as a college. According to the US News and World Report, 24 of its programs are ranked in the reports top 10 listings. Also, according to Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine, they rate UMD in fifth place in its list of “100 Best Values in Public Colleges".
Overview of University of Maryland
- UMD Prestigious Honours
- A Carnegie Doctoral /Research University
- Member of the Association of American Universities (AAU)
- Flagship of the University System of Maryland
- Division 1 NCAA Athletics UMD presently (June 2011) has 12 colleges and schools, 127 undergraduate majors and 112 undergraduate degrees. Its total student enrollment comes to 37,631 students.
According to the College Rankings US News and World Report Graduate Rankings, Maryland has an accumulative of 73 top 25 programs and 32 top 10 programs. With the Princeton Review/USA Today 100 Best Value Colleges, including both public and private colleges, UMD ranks in the top 50.
Academic programs on offer in the University of Maryland
The UMD academic offerings are vast. It offers courses in 93 different departments and has 138 centres and institutes. All of these academic are affiliated to the following colleges and schools:
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation
- College of Arts and Humanities
- College of Behavioural and Social Science
- Robert Smith School of Business
- College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences
- College of Education
- A.James Clark School of Engineering
- Phillip Merrill College of Journalism
- School of Public Health
- Letters and Sciences Admission procedures Graduate admissions Maryland university has the following graduate admissions procedures. Each school or college sets its own admission deadlines. They set their own admissions standard. Consequently, it is necessary for prospective students to contact them directly. Once the course has been selected, admissions can be made and takes approximate three weeks to process. It is possible to apply for multiple programs. However, an approximate administration fee of $75 is required for each program. It is not necessary to send college transcripts along with the application since UMD can access them online. Letters of recommendation can be sent online with the application itself. Undergraduate admissions The undergraduate admissions are far more varied than the graduate admissions, consequently it is not possible to outline admissions procedures. Maryland University has different procedures for each of the following undergraduate entrance streams: - High School Students
- Transfer Students
- Maryland Transfer Advantage program
- International students