This guide will show you how to do a manicure, with professional results. Doing a manicure at home will not only save you money, but can be a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. Follow the steps below to achieve beautiful hands and nails, in less than 30 minutes.
Tools and products you will need to do a manicure
You will need the following to carry out a manicure:
- A small bowl of warm water
- A soft towel
- Hand Cream
- A couple of drops of essential oil (lavender or rose)
- A nail buffer
- Emery boards or nail files
- Cuticle Remover
- Orange wood Sticks
- Natural nail polish remover
- Cotton pads, or nail wipes
- Nail Polish of your choice
- Top coat and/or clear polish
How to do a manicure - step by step
1) Add a little essential oil to a bowl of warm water and soak hands for a few minutes
2) Dry Hands
3) Massage some cream into hands
4) Push some cream onto cuticles and massage
5) Push back each cuticle on both hands, with an orange wood stick, covered with cotton wool
6) Clean the entire nail with some cotton wool soaked in nail polish remover
7) Buff the nails, to make the nail plate smooth
8) File each nail to the desired shape, filing from either side into the middle
9) Clean nails
10) Apply a clear coat of nail polish and allow to dry
11) Apply two coats of nail polish and allow to dry
12) Apply a top coat of clear polish and allow to dry
13) Tidy any blemishes from polished nails using an orange stick dipped in polish remover
How to do a french manicure
If you wish to do a french manicure or have a french tip, you will need some french manicure nail polish.
How to give a French manicure?
- Shape your nails
- Apply a fine white line of polish to your free edge (smile line), following the curve of the nail
- Apply one or two coats of french polish color
- Finish with one coat of clear polish. If you find it difficult to do a smile line, you can buy some french manicure guides to help.
Caring for your manicured nails
Manicured nails always look well groomed and glamorous, and learning how to do a manicure procedure will enable you to keep your hands and nails in tip top condition, at a fraction of the cost of a salon job. For the best manicure, always use good products that nourish the hands and nails.