Mold is a type of fungus that comes in many colours and forms, but all molds thrive in damp areas. If your home is damp or humid, it is almost certain that household molds will find it an irresistible place to live. It grows in moist places like bathrooms, but can also grow in drywall, paint, sealing, bathtub tiles and even in carpets. There are ways to get rid of this pest that has been plaguing people for a very long time.
Determine what kind of mold thrives in your home
The most commonly found household mold is toxic black mold, which can cause many health problems for you and your family. If you cannot determine the type of mold plaguing your home, get an expert to analyse it and make sure you take the correct steps in getting rid of it, because mold does not cease to grow at a specific stage, but will spread throughout the house if you leave it.
How to clean it yourself Consider the size of the mold and mildew problem. A small amount of mold in your bathroom, for example, can be controlled by frequent maintenance. Bleach and water can do the trick. When dealing with the mold, make sure to wear gloves, goggles, and dress in long sleeves. If you are concerned that you will breath in harmful chemicals, wear a respirator which you will find at many hardware stores. Ventilate the room by opening a window.
The health signs and concerns
Reactions to mold The most common reactions to mold in homes include sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes and a possible skin rash. Just like in the spring when only some people experience reactions to the increase of pollen in the air, the same holds true for mold. Some molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma. Other illnesses which can develop as a result of mold are dizziness, headaches, fatigue, cancer, memory loss and pulmonary haemorrhage. No proven link A definite correlation between toxic mold, mildew and these conditions have not been proven. If you have any worries, concerns and especially symptoms, seek advice from a doctor. Prevention Controlling the moisture in your house is crucial in mold removal. Check the water damage in your entire house. Keep the humidity level below 50% and, if it is affordable, use an air conditioner during humid months. There should always be proper ventilation, especially in wetter rooms and make sure absorbent material stays out of the bathrooms and basement. Get rid of water leaks and if you start seeing signs of mold, dry the area immediately.