Greek salad is a tasty and light option for the warmer months. When you're considering fresh salad ideas, making your own home-made dressing is easier than you might think. Whether you're a fan of Italian dressing or citrus-based options, this simple and authentic Greek dressing will pamper your family and impress your guests. Read on for recipes for Greek salad and salad dressing.
For the salad
Ingredients - Romaine lettuce - Cherry tomatoes - Cucumber - Red onion - Olives - Feta cheese - Greek Vinaigrette dressing Method - Wash and peel all your salad vegetables. - Then, chop or dice the cucumber, onion and tomatoes into bite size pieces and set aside. - Tear the lettuce into edible sizes and place into a salad bowl. - Add the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, olives and Feta cheese. - Toss gently to mix all the ingredients together.
Constructing your salad
- Add your Greek dressing to the salad bowl and toss again, coating all the ingredients. - Home-made dressings always taste best. - Serve the tossed salad in bowls and if you're feeling extra fancy, add wedges of Pita bread either on the side or top of the salad. Serving suggestions You can also add other ingredients like green Bell Peppers or chillies to enhance the flavour. This is a perfect low calorie meal and only amounts to approximately 105 calories per serving. Make sure that you wash all of your salad and vegetables thoroughly before you make your salad.
For the dressing
Ingredients - Good quality extra virgin olive oil - Freshly squeezed lemon juice - Fresh Oregano or fresh Greek herbs and spices - Finely ground sea salt Be generous with your seasoning. Remember that this is a delicious option to add to any meal or on to enjoy on its own as a main meal. As a Greek Salad has lots of flavour, it can't be missed and it is a perfect treat for the summer months.
Mixing the dressing
- Combine the salt, oregano, oil and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- While whisking, slowly add the olive oil to the lemon mixture.
- Always use extra virgin olive oil for dressings and dips.
- Use fresh lemons instead of bottled juice if possible.
- You can always add a little more lemon juice or salt to taste afterwards.
- When you want a healthy salad dressing, you can't lose with a Greek dressing.
Serving suggestions - Remember always to put your dressing on, when you are ready to eat or you will serve a soggy salad. - Putting the salad in the fridge won't save those soggy leaves.